Counter-Vandalism Wiki:Operator Policy
There are five sets of flags of access granted to users of the channel; the two highest levels constitute the channel staff:
Do not have any access in the channel (no access flags). These users are automatically devoiced by the freenode server upon entry; they may not speak in the channel, or take any other actions. Unconfirmed users will be directed to the verification page by channel staff. Any unconfirmed user who fails to respond to directives from channel staff may be kickbanned from the channel.
Confirmed users are granted +VA access flags on the channel. Users have "autovoice"; when they enter the channel, they are granted a "voice" (ability to speak in the moderated channel) by ChanServ, the freenode channel service. Users may speak freely in the channel, but are expected to abide by all channel policies, as well as the Channel Policies & Guidelines; users are expected to follow directives from channel operators and channel staff. Channel users are not granted any special authority in the channel. Users are also able to view the access list for the channel. Users are confirmed for the channel by channel staff based on the standards set out on the verification page; any Wikipedian with a reasonable edit history will be confirmed for the channel.
Channel Operators (ops)
Ops are granted +vVotifA access flags to the channel. Operator status is granted to users by senior staff based on the trust of the channel staff and a demonstrated understanding of the way the channel operates.
- Operators are granted general operator powers:
- Kick users (remove from channel).
- Maintain channel discipline. This includes kicking users from the channel, and banning them. All bans should be reported to CVN Staff in #countervandalism immediately after they are set.
- Set basic channel modes (topic lock, join throttle).
- Issue certain performance modification commands to the IRC bots. These Include "restart", "quit", "getadmins", etc.
- Make users confirmed users, through the same process as CVN Staff.
- Configuring and running backup bots only if the primary bot goes down (or giving someone else permission to do so). CVN Staff in #countervandalism should be informed that the bot is running.
- Operators should avoid doing the following:
- Holding their Op (+o) status for long periods of time, unless they are actively using it. An obvious exception to this is bot general maintenance or having to frequently restart the bot due to lag or other problems.
- Granting others operator status, unless they have been given permission to do so by a CVN staff member.
- Bickering with other users, operators, or staffers in the channel. This can be disruptive, and someone with a position of authority such as an operator should not be participating in such activities.
- Being generally disruptive. All of the channel policies and guidelines that apply to normal users also apply to operators.